Thursday, April 26, 2007
The genius that is The Plucky Knitter, who also happens to be my adopted knitting sister...she came up with a plan. We have been talking about doing a knit-a-long together. We were going to do the Clap. See above. Not happening. So, today she sent me a link to this beaut...I saw this up at Jessica's last time Spiff and I went and it was gorgeous. It's also faster and a lot less boring I think. I should still be able to use the Louisa Harding Grace Wool-Silk too. Bonus.
I've also been itching to make something for me. In the 3 years I have been knitting I have yet to make/finish something for myself. Socks are perfect. I really want to make some socks for football season with the custom Philadelphia Eagles colorway that Scout made me last winter...but I have 3 months till preseason, so Plucky and I are going to knit the same socks too...these cuties..2 projects together. Could we be more virtually attached at the hip?
I was told to wait to cast on for both of these until I get a surprise...okay, well not so much of a surprise anymore package from Ms. Plucky. Until then I'm going to whip up a Meathead and a few dishcloths.
Happy Non-Clapotis knitting.
Monday, April 23, 2007Le Spiff and I went to Queen Creek's Yarn Yankers on Saturday to knit and I started the Clap. BUT, while I was there I frogged what I got done because I made a huge mistake and couldn't figure it out. I cast on again yesterday but really I'm only into the 2nd repeat on Section 2 which are the increases so there's really nothing excited about that. And today, when I could have been knitting while the 'Nut was down for a nap, I was cleaning blinds and dusting and spraying Febreeze on every fabric surface in the house. This seriously cuts down on knitting time. Don't feel sorry for me or anything. I do it to myself. And later...well, later I have to do the shopping at Trader Joe's followed by dinner, bathtime and bedtime....and by then, I'm sure I could knit, but the Mister is home tonight which means the carpet cleaning that he has been putting off for 5 weeks has to get done tonight so I can return the steam cleaner to the MIL tomorrow...that means I will be lifting chairs and litterboxes and shoes and stools and well, you get the picture...no knitting time. Le sigh. Even still, all you are going to hear about around here for the next little while is the Clap and surely that will get old....so I'll have to come up with something...maybe I'll tell you about my oldest cat's love affair with a certain pair of my J.Crew flip flops, or like Spiff and I, we can ponder the reasons why men stand to pee. But don't get your hopes up...there will be no pictures of those either.
Labels: Life...le sigh
Friday, April 20, 2007
- Knitting was my comfort this week. Knitting and the iPod (affectionally known as WannabeGroovin')
- Embee having a healthy baby boy and being okay herself.
- Getting to IM with my mom this morning from all the way in India.
- Having rockin' friends.
- Fun playdates.
- Not getting overwhelmed on said playdates like I often do.
- New flip flops.
- My health.
- Magenta hydrangeas on my dining room table.
- My beautiful baby girl who makes my life a pretty place.
- Baked Kettle Chips
- Linda's Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Spiff being willing to drive herself crazy AGAIN teaching me how to crochet AGAIN tomorrow
Thursday, April 19, 2007
The REALLY good news is that my sister had her baby last night after a long labor. She is doing well and has a healthy, BIG baby boy. I don't want to give away too much because I know she will want to post on her blog when she is home in a few days. He is nursing well and she is just trying to get used to be a new mama. I am so proud of her. I love you, Mar. :)
I'm off to knitting tonight for creme brulee and girl talk. Today has been a LONG one. Spiff, Michelle and I took our kiddos to the zoo and we are wiped out over here. Hopefully I can stay away long enough to knit something...I need to cast on the Clap, but have no energy to do so. It might be a dishcloth night for me. :)
Wednesday, April 18, 2007
The happiness is that a baby boy will come into the world today. A sweet, precious boy that will be so loved and cherished. A baby boy who I can't wait to spoil. A baby boy that will someday call me Aunt 'Nana'. A baby boy who will have such an unbelievable mama that he won't even know how lucky he is. If you have a minute today, say a prayer for my little sister, Embee, who is bringing that baby boy into the world as I type this? (Oh, and guess what he is wearing home from the hospital...the Baby Bolero I knit for him!!!!! Woot!)
The sadness is that we found out this week that my mom's only sister, my auntie, has brain cancer. It has spread and at this point it's not looking so good. I will have more info later today after she sees another specialist. Can you light a candle and say a prayer for my Auntie June? She is the most loving, wonderful, caring and giving auntie ever. I'll never understand why things like this happen to such amazingly beautiful people but I do know that all things work for the good and that what will be will be. I'm hoping and praying for a miracle. Will you join me?
Love and hope to each of you today.
Monday, April 16, 2007
Our little weekend began with a playdate with Buggernut's BFF, P and her mama, who is a close friend of mine. We took the girlies to the park armed with a grocery bag of Ben & Jerry's Minis. The girls played SOOOO well (no fighting, they shared and loved spending time together!) and P's mama and I got to really get some good girl time in. It was sooo nice.
Saturday I relaxed all morning and just did a few things around the house at a slow pace and then got to go grocery shopping ALONE. Don't laugh. I rarely get to go anywhere errand wise alone so it's like a vacation to stroll lazily down the aisles at Trader Joe's. :)
Yesterday was the kicker. I was at the spa by 10am. IT WAS SOOOOOOOOOOOO RELAXING. Even the room I waited in during treatments was relaxing and I got 2 chapters read in my book UNINTERRUPTED! Woot. I got an eyebrow wax/reshape followed by a facial consult (I go back in a month for an antioxidant facial). Then I got a combination massage which was a mix of hot rock therapy, swedish and deep tissue. The only thing I would have liked better was if she was rougher. I find that I need a male therapist to really get all the knots out because I like the deeper pressure...okay that sounds um, nevermind. Then I got a mani and spa pedicure (which included a foot masque!). It was lovely. I was really annoyed at the Mister when he went and spent all this money on this for me, but when I got home I thanked him profusely and reminded him that Mother's Day is in a few weeks! Bwahhahahhhahaaha.....
Hoping your weekend was relaxing and stress-free. We have a jam packed week filled with several playdates, an all day craft day, and possibly a trip to the zoo. Hopefully I can fit some knitting in there sometime. My yarn from WEBS should be here this week too so I can start on the Clapotis (you know what that means Sarah!). And Spiff, you better bring a bigger bag or bra to knit club this week so you can smuggle your yarn home. ;) muahahahahaha...
Saturday, April 14, 2007
(click for bigger images)
Pattern: Petal Bib from One Skein
Yarn: Rowan Handknit Cotton in Color #310 gifted to me by The Knitting Buddha
Needles: Size 6 Clover Bamboo Straights, Size 6 Clover Bamboo DPNs
Notes: I LOVED knitting this. It was a super fast project...perfect for those "in between" projects. It also allowed me to learn 2 new things that I've never done before...Purl 2 together thru back loops (P2tog tbl) and knit an icord into a project. I was a bit freaked out by both but once I sat there and really read the directions thru I figured them both out and felt like a genius. Okay, humor me and clap or something. :)
Knitted for: My friend, Jessica who is due with her second baby girl in June.
Speaking of pink, these have been a fixture in the 'Nut's wardrobe for about a week now. She exclaimed the other day that these would be the only shoes she is going to wear. Not that I have a problem with that or anything...you know...with my love of pink and all. :)
Friday, April 13, 2007
This week I am grateful for:
- The week being over with. This was a really stressful week and I'm glad I get a fresh slate in a few days.
- Lots of knitting time. I've made myself sit and knit during the Buggernut's naps and after she went to bed this week. On any other week, I work my boooo-tay off cleaning or working on projects during these times which is why the knitting suffers. I finished 2 projects this week because of it and it feels good.
- Cast On - I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this Podcast. Brenda Dayne podcasts from Wales and she has the most relaxing voice. I can knit and listen at the same time without the podcast taking away my concentration....you knitters know what I'm talkin' 'bout. Same way I can't knit during '24'....I CAN knit during Cast On.
- A warm, gooey chocolate chip cookie after lunch today.
- 3 pints of Haagen-Dazs in the freezer. Can we tell what week this is ladies?
- Being done with Tink's card swap. These things completely overwhelm me...why is that? I am a freaking perfectionist. As it is I am already having anxiety attacks about there being only 1 HANDMADE card in the loot. Pssshh.
- New friends.
- Having curly hair. I never thought I would ever say that...but struggling with Buggernut's poker straight, fine hair makes me appreciate what I have on my own head.
- Spa day on Sunday. I'm getting a combo massage (hot rock, swedish and deep tissue all in one), a mani, spa pedi, eyebrow wax/reshape and possibly a facial if I have time. I am sooo excited. I will be bringing the iPod and knitting with me.
- Beautiful weather. It's in the 60's here today. A welcome change from the 90's we had last week.
Labels: Grateful Friday
Thursday, April 12, 2007
Labels: da blahs
Wednesday, April 11, 2007One Skein in some beautiful pale pink Rowan Handknit cotton that the Spifster bought me on her trip "to convince me not to move to LaJolla" aka "vacation in San Diego". It knits up SOOO fast and this yarn...oh, this yarn is awesome. Must have more. Anyways, I'll post some pics of this as soon as it's done because the recipient doesn't read the blog. Punk.
Next up, the Clap. Clapotis, that is. Please, people. Sick. After some yarn selection help from Plucky Sarah and Knitting Buddha and a WEBS sale to push me over the edge, I chose Louisa Harding Grace Wool-Silk in Beige. This is going to be a 90th birthday gift for the Mister's grandma so it needed to be practical and beautiful at the same time. I think it will work up beautifully. Now if Plucky can chose some yarn we can knit these together...that's the plan anyways. :)
Off to get ready to go up to Scottsdale to have lunch with some of the old work cohorts. Have a lovely day!
Saturday, April 7, 2007
She will reside on my knitting bag as soon as she gets here. I bought her as inspired by Sara's felt flower fetish over at Pink Sparrow. Can I tell you how much I heart Etsy?
Friday, April 6, 2007So okay I couldn't stay away till next week because I HAVE to do Grateful Friday and all. You know.
- Looking back at pics of the Buggernut (like the one above of us in Connecticut in October 2005) and getting warm mushy feelings all over.
- Finally feeling like a normal human being today after 5 days of food poisoning hell
- Deciding to forego knitting last night to stay home and watch The Sentinel (oooo, Kieeeeeeffffeeeeeeeerrrrr....grrrr) with the Mister
- Because of the above, got 2 nights in a row of bedtime at 9pm...ahhhhhh
- Watching the Buggernut's face light up this morning when I gave her a breakfast of a whole wheat English muffin with raw peanut butter, fresh strawberries and kiwi....and have her look at it with wide eyes like I just handed her a bowl of Fruit Loops and Cotton Candy. I love that she loves healthy food.
- A pink hyacinth in a yellow pot on my dining room table. Happy Easter!
- Feeling semi-caught up after working like mad around the house the past few days.
- Knitting tomorrow with the grrrrls.
- LOTS of Rescue work this weekend....fundraiser event tomorrow afternoon and a shift on Sunday. I can't say enough how much I love my work there.
- Getting an invite to go to my aunt's in a few weeks just to lounge by the pool and hang out. I love spending time with her.
- Booking my day at the spa! Woot!
- Having the windows open this morning and smelling that nice fresh breeze coming in.
- Starting a new novel yesterday, The Time Traveler's Wife, recommended by Kelli, and knowing in the first few pages that I'm going to LOVE it.
- Receiving a Calculated Acts of Kindness envelope in the mail this week from Kelli and opening it to see lots of yummy fabric in it so I can start on making pony and clips! Thanks girl!
- Unpacking the box that came this week from Sara and remembering all the good times and love that I feel for my sisters.
- Working on a compilation CD yesterday for Tink's CD/card swap and gettin' all happy about 80's and 90's musac. It brings me back. Anyone remember Jenn and I flippin' our hair while singing 'More Than Words' by Extreme? Dude, we were so hot! LOL!
Labels: Grateful Friday
Thursday, April 5, 2007